Maryland County Residential Rental License Requirements | TPF.legal

Fun fact, prior to writing this post I believed that most Counties in Maryland require landlords to have a residential rental license to rent to tenants. Turns out most of them don’t! I just happen to practice in jurisdictions where they’re almost always required. And even in those jurisdictions, there are limited circumstances in where a landlord is not required to have a license. It’s always a good idea to know the licensing requirements of your jurisdiction because landlords who unintentionally violate them may be subject to civil or criminal penalties.

Maryland Rental Rental License Information & Requirements

The table below links to where you can find your counties rental licensing information when applicable and the circumstances in which a license is required. Licensing requirements are always subject to change so this guide needs to be constantly updated. Always double-check your county information before relying on this guide and please let us know if the registration requirements have changed.

Maryland CountyRental License Required?
Alleghany County Residential Rental LicensingYes
Anne Arundel CountyYes, Multiple Dwelling Houses & Rooming Houses
Baltimore County Rental Housing RegistrationYes
Baltimore City Property Registration & LicensingYes
Calvert CountyNo
Carroll CountyYes, in Westminster
Cecil CountyNo
Charles CountyNo
Dorchester CountyYes
Frederick CountyNo
Garrett CountyOnly For Short Term Vacation Rentals
Harford CountyNo
Howard CountyYes
Kent CountyNo
Montgomery County Residential Rental License Info.Yes
Prince George’s County Residential Rental License Info.Yes
Queen Anne’s CountyNo
Saint Mary’s CountyNo
Somerset CountyNo
Talbot CountyLicenses required for short term rentals
Washington CountyLicense Required in Hagerstown
Wicomico CountyNo
Worcester CountyNo

Maryland County Residential Rental License & Registration Requirements

And there you have it! Be sure to check to see if residential rental license before you start renting. Also, if you live in a jurisdiction that requires one, chances are you’re in a jurisdiction where I practice. So if you need help filing a failure to pay rent claim do not hesitate to contact The Pendergraft Firm.

Facebook Comments